Dairy Girl cake is one of my new favourite. Tender thanks to 14 layers with well known ice cream flavor. Number ’14’ sounds boring, but a good news is that baking only takes 20 minutes.
Today I’m presenting Easter version of the cake.
You can test both regular condensed and caramel milk in the cake. Caramel one will give a nice brown color to the cakes and specific caramel flavor.
Dough for cake layers
For 14 cake layers of 16 cm diameter:
397 g caramel or regular condensed milk
100 g melted butter
4 g baking powder
200 g all propose flour
400 ml milk
180 g sugar
100 g butter
3 tsp starch
200 g cream with 33-35% fat
berries, chocolate etc.
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
2. Mix well flour, starch and baking powder.
3. In a large bowl whip condensed milk and eggs, then add flour mixture. Mix thoroughly.
4. Add melted butter and mix until incorporating.
5. On baking paper, draw three circles with a diameter of 16 cm. Make sure this piece of paper fits your oven tray. Turn the pattern down.
Actually it’s better to make two pieces of baking paper: until first piece is in the oven the secong one is in reparing for the next cake layer.
6. Lay out 1.5 tbsp dough on parchment and spread the dough into a circle so that it barely protrudes beyond the circle.
7. Bake for 5-6 min until edge is brown. Trim the edges of the cake until it cools. I do this with a metal baking ring that acts as a cutter.
8. Cool completely on a baking sheet.
- Mix starch, egg and sugar in a large bowl.
- Boil milk in a saucepan.
- Add hot milk to an egg mixture, mix well.
- Return the mixture back to the saucepan and simmer until thickened. cover with cling film in contact and cool completely.
- Whip cream to stiff peaks, add milk mixture. Mix thoroughly.
Dairy Girl Cake assembling
For the best and accurate result at this stage use metal baking ring of the same diameter as the cake. If it is not too high, build it up with acetate film.
- Put first layer on a dish, grease with 1.5-2 tablespoons of the custard.
- Repeat this with all the cake layers.
- Chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- Decorate top of the cake with berries or chocolate. But it’s not so necessary: Dairy Girl Cake is awesome as is.
More cakes in this blog.