Each Finnish holiday is accompanied by a special dessert – and I, who don’t even go to dance, but stay at home to bake something new, is immensely happy.
On Runeberg’s birthday everyone eats a cupcake with raspberry jam and icing (I’ve showed it in early February), on Easter – mämmi and chocolate eggs (I will show it in April), on the Labor Day – brushwood, summer – time for berry pies, for ‘korvapuusti’ and Karelian pies, fortunately, no calendar reason is needed, for Christmas it’s customary to bake a puff pastry with plum filling and gingerbread, and on the Shrovetide – buns with almond paste and whipped cream.
Here they are.
Recipe for buns is from the first issue of Leivotaan magazine for 2020. My comments are followed.
25 g fresh yeast
500 g milk
180 g sugar
150 g butter
1 tsp salt
14 g cardamom
2 eggs (one egg for greasing)
770 g flour
200 g almond flour
200 g icing sugar
2 egg whites
100 g whipping cream
500 g cream cheese
70 g icing sugar
icing for sprinkling
- For buns. Grind yeast and dissolve it in warm milk.
- Add butter, salt, sugar, one egg and stir until smooth.
- Add flour and knead the dough for 5-10 minutes.
- Cover the dough with a towel and place in a warm place (I use an oven preheated to 40 °С) for about 2 hours: the dough should increase in volume by 2-3 times.
- Divide the dough into 22 pieces, each roll into a bun. To do this fold your palm as a 'house' and start rolling a ball from the dough on the table. The result should be a round elastic bun.
- Put the buns on a baking sheet covered with baking paper and leave them for 30-40 minutes: buns will increase significantly.
- Preheat oven to 250 °С.
- Beat the egg with a fork, grease each bun with an egg using a cooking brush.
- Bake buns for about 8 minutes until blush. Cool buns on wire rack.
- For almond mass mix almond flour, egg whites and icing sugar until smooth. Move to a cornet with a nozzle.
- For cream whip cream to persistent peaks then add icing sugar and cream cheese. Whip, transfer to a cornet with a figured nozzle and refrigerate for an hour.
- Сut off the roof of each bun, put a little mass in the middle, around it make a circle of cream.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and enjoy.