Each Finnish holiday is accompanied by a special dessert – and I, who don’t even go to dance, but stay at home to bake something new, is immensely happy.
On Runeberg’s birthday everyone eats Runeberg cake with raspberry jam and icing, on Easter – mämmi and chocolate eggs (I will show it in April), on the Labor Day – brushwood, summer – time for berry pies, for ‘korvapuusti’ and Karelian pies, fortunately, no calendar reason is needed, for Christmas it’s customary to bake a puff pastry with plum filling and gingerbread, and on the Shrovetide – buns with almond paste and whipped cream.
Here they are.
Recipe for buns is from the first issue of Leivotaan magazine for 2020. My comments are followed.
25 g fresh yeast
500 g milk
180 g sugar
150 g butter
1 tsp salt
14 g cardamom
2 eggs (one egg for greasing)
770 g flour
200 g almond flour
200 g icing sugar
2 egg whites
100 g whipping cream
500 g cream cheese
70 g icing sugar
icing for sprinkling
- Grind yeast and dissolve it in warm milk.
- Add butter, salt, sugar, one egg and stir until smooth.
- Add flour and knead the dough for 5-10 minutes.
- Cover the dough with a towel and place in a warm place (I use an oven preheated to 40 °С) for about 2 hours: the dough should increase in volume by 2-3 times.
- Divide the dough into 22 pieces by 75 g each, each roll into a bun. To do this fold your palm as a ‘house’ and start rolling a ball from the dough on the table. The result should be a round elastic bun.
- Put the buns on a baking sheet covered with baking paper and leave them for 30-40 minutes: buns will increase significantly.
- Preheat oven to 250 °С.
- Beat the egg with a fork, grease each bun with an egg using a cooking brush.
- Bake buns for about 8 minutes until blush. Cool buns on wire rack.
- For almond mass mix almond flour, egg whites and icing sugar until smooth. Move to a cornet with a nozzle.
- For cream whip cream to persistent peaks then add icing sugar and cream cheese. Whip, transfer to a cornet with a figured nozzle and refrigerate for an hour.
- Сut off the roof of each bun, put a little mass in the middle, around it make a circle of cream.