Let’s make quark at home!
It is good to eat it by itself with some natural yogurt/smetana/kermavilli, it could be a great base for dough, which turns into a bundt cake or a lot of cookies. You will be surprised but quark is a very interesting dressing for morning porridge. I guess there are enough reasons to test and to taste it.
The main ingredien for the quark is whole milk with a short shelf life. If you will use quit fat milk, the quark will be softner and fatter, which is only good for it in my opinion.
The second ingredient is kefir or piimä. It would be better if there is no extra additions there.
At last smetana or natural yogurt. All these ingredients need to be as fresh as it possible and with the whortest shelf life too.
2 l whole milk, as fat as you like
1 l kefir or piimä
150 g smetana with ~20% fat
50 g natural yogurt
Saucepan, colander, a piece of cheeseclothes or a linen towel
- Boil the milk in a large saucepan with a thick bottom. Make sure the milk doesn’t run away.
2. When milk starts to move up add kefir, after that smetana and yogurt. Mix well,
turn off the burner and set aside for 30 minutes. You will see that milk turn into the inhomogeneous mass. It’s ok.
3. Line a colander with a piece of cheeseclothes. Transfer the mass to a colander, let the liquid drain.
NB The liquid as is could be a good basic for home bread.
4. Put aside for up to 2 hours.
5. Put the quark into a glass container and enjoy the view. Store in the refrigerator.